Trauma of These Times: Impact on Therapists and our Groups
Guest Presenter: Bonnie Buchele, PhD, CGP, DFAGPA, ABPP
Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, November 2-4, 2018
The Hyatt Chesapeake Bay Resort, Cambridge, MD
This event is co-sponsored by
The Washington School of Psychiatry
Conference Description: The Fall Conference offers a unique learning experience through large group meetings and dialogue, didactic information-sharing and demonstration, and small process group experiences. Our goal is to provide a learning environment in which conference members can integrate a deeper understanding of the topical content and consider introducing new material into their work. This conference is intended for psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, psychiatric nurses, and social workers.
Dr. Bonnie Buchele is creating a conference for MAGPS that is responsive to our mission to work as effective and compassionate therapists in a challenged political and societal climate. She will present an intentional group therapeutic approach that looks forward to maximizing healing forces for everyone. She will also highlight the importance of the capacity to work through the pain and recover.
The participants will be able to:
- Identify the factors within the current social and political environment that can contribute to trauma responses in individuals.
- Identify the impact of the current social and political environment on psychotherapy groups.
- Understand the origins of current societal trends and behaviors by applying one or more of an array of group theories.
- Learn clinical interventions that facilitate recovery from the damaging ramifications of present-day society and politics on individuals and groups.
- Increase group therapists’ awareness of how the present societal environment effects them as individuals and as group therapists, giving consideration to direct and indirect factors.
- Discern the impact of current events within the context of group members’ personal histories so that work on overall treatment goals continues simultaneously with attention given to the immediate effects, especially traumatization.
About our Presenter
Dr. Bonnie J. Buchele, is a psychologist, practicing group psychotherapist and psychoanalyst in Kansas City, Missouri, USA. She serves as a Councilor on the Executive Council of the American Psychoanalytic Association. She is a Past President and Distinguished Fellow of the American Group Psychotherapy Association, Past Director of the Greater Kansas City Psychoanalytic Institute (where she is presently on the faculty) and has served as President-Elect of the International Association for Group Psychotherapy and Group Processes. She held various positions at the Menninger Clinic during her tenure of over thirty years there and was a consultant to clinicians working with survivors of 9/11. In addition to publishing articles, book chapters and books on subjects ranging from trauma to group psychotherapy to psychoanalysis, Dr. Buchele lectures, teaches and consults within the USA and internationally.
For more information please contact Sally Brandel & Lisa Haileab, Conference Co-Chairs, at email@example.com.